1. Complete the following sentences by reading the poem “The Rainbow”
(a) Boats sail on the rivers,
(b) And Ships sail on the seas.
(c) But clouds that sail across the sky.
(d) Boats and ships are pretty, but clouds are prettier
(e) The ‘bow’ in the poem is the bridges.
2. Match the Following:
3. What are the things that the rainbow does? Fill in the blanks below with words from the poem.
The Rainbow——–(i) heaven
(ii) the trees
(iii) from earth to sky
Ans:- The rainbow————-(i) bridges heaven
(ii) overtops the trees
(iii) builds road from earth to the sky
4. Two summaries of the poem are given below. which one do like more? Discuss your answer with the friend sitting next to you. Than share your thoughts with the rest of the class.
5. (a) As you Know, rhyming words that end with the same sound, such as sound-round . Here are some words from the poem ‘The Rainbow’ Work with your friend and write two words that rhyme with each of them:
boat- goat— coat
(b) Now say the words aloud and recite the poem ‘The Rainbow’ for practice.
6. (a) Make a list of things that:
|Sail on rivers and seas||Move on the road||Fly across the sky|
|Boatship||CycleBus truckMotor cycle||BirdsaeroplaneHelicopter|
8. Let’s learn some grammar:
Read the poem ‘the Rainbow’ once again. Find words belonging to the following word classes and write them in the spaces below. One is done for you. You may fill the spaces with other words if you do not find an appropriate word in the poem.
(a) Noun (naming words, for example, ‘boat’):
(b) Pronoun (a word used instead of a noun: for example, ‘it’)
(c) Adjective (a word that describes a person or a thing; for example, ‘pretty’)
(d) Verb: (a Word or a group of words that expresses an action; for example, ‘eat’, ‘run’):
11. Lets practice our word building skills. Make a few words with each of the letters from the word RAINBOW. First make a three letter word with R and then a four letter word, and so on. One is done for you:
12. (a) Ask the following questions to your partner and writer his/her answers in the given space:
(i) Have you ever seen a rainbow?
Ans: Yes, I have seen a rainbow in the sky.
(ii) What does the rainbow look like?
Ans: The Rainbow look like a bow and many colours
(iii) When do you see a rainbow?
Ans: We can see a rainbow in the rainy season in the sky.
(iv) What colours do you see on a rainbow?
Ans: I can see seven numbers of colour..
13. Look at the picture and picture and read the poem about a bird which lived on the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean.
The Dodo used to walk around
And sun yet warms his native ground-
The Dodo is not there
The voice which used to squawk and squeak
Is now forever dumb-
Yet you may see the bones and beak
All in the museum.
Dodos were large birds that could not fly. They are no longer on the earth now. They have become extinct.
In small groups, discuss why we should take care of nature’s gifts such as plants and animals.
14. Look at the picture and read the following sentences:
It is the white winged wood duck. The white winged wood duck lives in tropical forests and the wetlands of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and parts of south East Asia. The number of white Winged wood ducks is decreasing. Let’s not allow this duck to become extinct.
Discuss in groups what you would do to stop it from become extinct.
Write down a few step that you would like to take to conserve it.
You may take help of the following words and phrases for your discussion:
love and care
15. Say these words aloud after your teacher for pronunciation practice: